With winter well and truly on its way and strong winds blowing more than Race conditions, my Technique Tips are moving onto Surfboard riding and ripping waves with a kite.
Here we look at a the Varial which is a fun move that can be performed in flat water or even on a wave and is great for showing off to the crowds on the beach or even just to have some fun and mix it up while riding out the back between wave rides.
Here I am in fairly flat water riding on the North Nuggett in onshore conditions using the Fuse 12m kite at Marazion, Cornwall.
A wide tailed board really helps with any type of aerial manoeuvre as it gives you something to pop off and also the wide board catches the wind better, helping to keep it stuck too you feet. With practise however you can perform this move on any type of directional, skimboard .
· As the board starts to rotate bring your feet together in the middle of the board so that it rotates around your feet and doesn’t spin wildly off downwind
· As the tail comes round keep your foot connected to flatten the board out and keep it rotating
· Start to spot your landing
· Connect your front board back onto the board to stop the rotation
· Land downwind diving kite hard
This is a fun move with loads of variables. Just give it a go and the more you try them the more you’ll start making. For kitesurf lessons and coaching in Cornwall go to www.pastyadventures.co.uk
Over the winter I am running some exciting Kitesurf Coaching holidays go to http://www.pastyadventures.co.uk/holidays.html for more Info
Coming next we will look at wave riding technique and strapless jumps.
Stay safe out there
Pics by Joe Cockle